Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Saving the world, one hair at a time.


Today was a crazy day. It has been raining in Bozeman for what feels like an eternity. If you are going to be a full-time pedestrian you have to be prepared for rain. It's not hard to look good in rain gear if you have a polka dot umbrella and pink rain boots from Germany. Lucky for me, I have both! Here's our delicious backyard lilacs and my rainy day gear.



I have been enjoying going to sleep at night with my window open, one foot out of the blankets, Sigur Ros on the ipod, and the rain beating down on the gorgeous plant infestation outside my bedroom window. I love the sound that the rain makes when it hits the leaves and the grass... it's just delicious sounding! My plants have been loving the window being open for days and having a fresh mist on them all the time... here they are! Clark is the big succulent that has really flourished in this window. The little jade remains nameless, and the cutie in the middle is Gable... Clark's brother:)



And these are the beautiful bushes outside my window that make me so happy and have such a delightful sound when rained upon.



Well, enough about my plants... more to come on them later! Today was also a crazy day because I have been thinking alot about the absolutely devastating and downright awful oil spill happening in the gulf. It is the 57th day of the spill and millions of gallons continue to spill every day. But! BUT! Today I found a way that I can help and be a part of the solution... which is all anybody really ever wants when something so terrible happens. I am joining up with a non-profit here in Bozeman called Montana for the Gulf... an awesome group that is raising awareness and lighting fires under people's asses all over the place! What am I doing to help, you ask? Well, I will be collecting hair. Salons and beauty schools all over the place are collecting hair to send in nylons to the gulf to soak up this mess. I believe that the goal is to build a 20 mile barrier with hair-filled nylons. It's genius. It's renewable. It's taking the resources that we have and doing something awesome about something un-awesome. So, if you feel like you need a haircut for a good cause, give me a ring! We'll get you a new summer "do" and we can save the planet... one hair at a time:)

1 comment:

  1. Too bad i just lopped off 8 inches or so. anywhoooo. I have a new succulent too, the same kind as Clark. It did not have a name, but I just decided to name her Vivien. Hopefully she lasts longer than our love fern. And she has a cute teal/brown pottery planter., and is quite petite.

    ReplyDelete